Monday 26 January 2009

Give us this day our dose of moral regeneration

The allegations against president Kgalema Motlanthe, reported in today's independent online, are serious and deplorable.

I'm concerned when a president, someone the people look up to, has an affair and impregnates a 24 year old woman. A few years back ANC president Jacob Zuma slept with an HIV positive woman and later made regrettable remarks about a shower and women asking for it.

Motlanthe has the right to privacy but that needs to be balanced with the fact that he is a public figure. As head of state we expect him to behave in a manner that is beyond reproach and to abide by the Moral Regeneration Movement's charter of values.

People like Kgalema, Zuma, Winnie Mandela and Angie Motshekga are leaders and our children are supposed to look up to them as role models. But I think I'll be damned if I let my child look up to them as role models.

No comments: